Search This Blog

Friday, December 2, 2016

Witch Hazel Chapter 6.4

Chapter Six 

Part Four



“Karisme, how good to see you,” Alastar smiled as he took her hands into his and lifted them up. He kissed both of them, admiring the delicate grace of her fingers. Rosy with cold, the blush from his affections made her a little more pink than normal and he found it utterly adorable. “How have you been?”

“It is… becoming easier,” she smiled, feeling backwards and shy. He was a handsome rogue and even though her brother had warned her to stay away from him, she found herself drawn in by his charisma and the kindness he showed her. “I am adjusting a little to this world I find myself released into. I have… been able to….” she struggled to find the right words. Why did he have to give her such a warm smile? It made coherence so much more difficult! “Explore more,” she managed finally. “On foot at least.”

“So you’ve been wandering the town?” he laced his fingers with hers. “I should very much like to join you in these adventures of yours. I know some very cozy spots.” Alastar gave her that heart stopping smile. “Your fingers are so cold, haven’t you gloves?”

“I… yes,” she fumbled, reluctant to release his hands. Digging her gloves out of a coat pocket, she put them on while turning a brighter shade of pink. “I took them off to feel the bark on the trees by the sea.”

“Do you go all these places alone?” he asked. “Does your brother know?”

“He knows I enjoy fishing and that I walk,” she shrugged. “Leonardo does not ask me too many questions, he only put down some basic house rules and most of them were simply for my own protection. If I feel like talking about what I’ve been up to, he’s happy to listen. He asks if I’m feeling well, at least once every day.”

Alastar nodded, all this matched with the man he knew. Leonardo would take care of his sister to the best of his ability and try very hard not to overstep his bounds. Also, the man was a hopeless worrier. “And do you feel safe?”

“Yes,” she smiled now. “Leonardo and… and you, make me feel safe.”

“If I make you feel safe, would you honor me with a phone call when you are going to begin your walks? I’d feel better if you did not always go alone.”

“I suppose I could do that,” Karisme hesitated. “Is there a reason I should fear?”

“Not in particular,” he said. “Only in the general sense, with people in this town who do not care for wolves.”

“I see. Yes, I would enjoy your company. I shall ring you before my walks and we can meet someplace,” Karisme smiled.


“I will greatly enjoy seeing more of you. Your beautiful face lights up my day,” Alastar told her. He might be laying it on a little thick but even with as much effort as he was putting into this, she seemed to only catch the vaguest hint that he was attracted to her. The poor thing, she’d been through so much and it had been so long since she’d interacted with others, it came as no surprise. He would continue to give her compliments and reassure her that she was important to him, though. It brought a smile to her face and for him, that was enough.

“I will enjoy seeing you also,” Karisme said. “Do you enjoy fishing also? I was thinking of going down to the ponds to see what I can catch tomorrow morning, before sunrise.”

“I do very much enjoy fishing,” he nodded. “It’s a date.”


“I am always here for you, if you are in trouble or if you need someone to talk to. Or even if you’re just lonely,” he said to her.

The lady in front of him smiled, appreciating his kindness for what it was and not reading anything more into it. “I enjoy time to myself. Out in nature, it is easy to forget the shadows in the edges of my mind. I can… breathe easier. Do you feel similarly?”

“Yes,” he agreed. “It is part of the joy of what we are. We should hunt together, this full moon.”

She hesitated, a little worried. “I thought only pack wolves could hunt.”

“With the official Elba pack? Yes, that’s true. We can have our own hunt, though. How long has it been since you hunted?”

“I… am embarrassed to admit it,” she sighed. “Since I was a child.”



--
“You poor thing,” Alastar said. He rubbed the back of his neck. “So you’re basically new to the hunt itself all over again. I’ll teach you, if you feel comfortable with it.”

“Oh, would you?” she exclaimed, real enthusiasm showing. “How kind of you! I’d love that very much.”


“You’re sure it will be ok? I do not want the Elba pack to think I am trying to encroach on their territory!”

“I know an area where we can hunt and they will never be the wiser,” he smiled. It might not even become an issue, since oftentimes the elba pack hunted on the island to the west. It was a nice secluded spot they could have their meetings and enjoy their drunken debauchery without any regular mortals witness them. He doubted Karisme would be interested in any debauchery, as disappointing as that was to him, so he didn’t see how it could hurt to hunt in a more local area.

“I should probably be heading on. I promised Benita I would watch little Rosa this afternoon. Poor thing has been so tired!”

“I understand,” he nodded. “It would be selfish of me to keep you here, though it is tempting.” He saw her look of concern and he immediately clarified, “It was a joke! I only meant I am sad to see you leave.”

“Oh,” Karisme relaxed. “Of course.”

Alastar went to shake her hand farewell but Karisme surprised him by pulling him in for a hug. He accepted it gladly, wrapping his arms around her and inhaling deeply from her neck. This woman was becoming a habit for him, some kind of addiction. He wasn’t sure if anything in memory had ever made him so happy as being with her and he felt a combination of foolishness and glee every time he was with her. It was like being a hormonal teenager again! He wondered briefly if she could be the one he’d been looking for, someone to complete him. Maybe one day, if he was careful, she could be his mate.




“Goodbye Alastar,” Karisme said as she reluctantly drew away from him. “I shall see you in the morning.”


“Yes,” he smiled. “Goodbye for now.” He watched her walk back down the sidewalk, pulling her collar up to block the wind. What was that feeling in his chest? Did he dare put a name on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment